Lost Cities VR

Square

Card design for the game Lost Cities VR.

I had the wonderful opportunity to work with friends from The Campfire Union (now known as Flipside) on Lost Cities VR, the world’s first VR board game.

After studying the original game a bit, I went to the drawing board. In the Lost Cities original board game, there are five “locations”, or suits, and nine numbered cards from 2 to 10, as well as three additional “handshake” cards, for a total of twelve cards per suit, and 60 cards in total.

The task of designing these cards came with some parameters because of the limitations of the Gear VR, which at the time didn’t have positional tracking; so you can look around to see the full view of the environment, but you can’t lean in to look at the cards or any other elements in the game. I was instructed to make each suit of cards to be unique reference the expedition you were to “go on” within that suit, and use a large bold font, as legibility was very important to this project.

Keeping those guides in mind, below I began sketching out the first suit: Desert Sands. I came up with a few different layouts for them, but keeping the same colour scheme.

After some feedback, I continued to flesh out the cards, adding in more detail and even some cracks to make them appear worn and used. I particularly enjoy the pyramids in the back.

Finally, we arrived at the final product; fully fleshed out and textures added for more depth.

I repeated the process with the other four suits, and then they were complete! After the Desert Sands suit, I finished Ancient Volcano, Brazilian Forest, Himalayan Mountains, and finally Neptune’s Realm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There was one final thing I had time to work on before I went back to school that fall; concepts for the table for the game to be played on in the Desert Sands location.

In Lost Cities VR, you can choose which location you want to play in, and in turn, which AI you will play against, each with their own quirks and personalities.

First for this concept, I was supplied with reference photos, the table layout, and a rough 3D mock up. From there I got to work.

 

 

I tried to give each concept a different feel and look, so we could narrow down to the best one and change details easily. After some more feedback sessions, we came up with a final design to start basing the 3D model off of, as seen to the left. From there, the modellers took over the project in the 3D realm while I returned to school.